Dmitry Levitzky (Dmitry Grigoryevich Levitsky) (Russian: May 1735 – April 17, 1822) was a
Russian-Ukrainian portrait painter.
Dmitry was born in Kiev, Ukraine, in a family of clergyman and engraver Grigory Levitzky. His
father was his first art teacher. Later be became a pupil of Aleksey Antropov who came to Kiev to
paint the Cathedral of St. Andrew.
In 1770, Levitzky became famous as a portrait painter after the exhibition of six of his portraits
in the Imperial Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg. For the portrait of Alexander Kokorinov,
Director and First Rector of the Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg (1769) he was elected an
academician and appointed the Professor of the portrait painting class at the Academy of Arts. He
remained on this position until 1788.
In 1772-1776 Levitzky worked on a series of portraits of the pupils of the privileged women
establishment Smolny Institute for Young Ladies in St. Petersburg commissioned by Catherine II. The
girls are depicted performing dances, music, plays.
Though Levitzky had many commissions, they were, in most cases, poorly paid, and the painter died
in poverty in 1822.